Hosts Errol Laborde and Rich Collins dive into the history, tradition and modern celebration of New Orleans Carnival.
The 2023 season is sponsored by:
- From Ash Wednesday to super krewes, old-line parades and cabinets full of plastic Mardi Gras cups, for our final episode of 2023 we are looking at Carnival from A to Z. In this super-sized episode, Errol and Rich cover anything and everything Carnival, including a guest interview with The Historic New Orleans Collection's Lydia Blackmore, […]
- This episode, we go back generations in Carnival history. Historian Errol Laborde takes us from the start of New Orleans Carnival through the evolution that lead to our modern understanding of Carnival celebration.
- In this episode, Matt Haines, writer of "The Big Book of King Cakes," shares all his knowledge of the Carnival confection, while breaking down the process of compiling and creating the delicious book.
- This episode of Beyond the Beads features Cherice Harrison-Nelson, also known as Queen Reesie, who has been Queen of the Guardians of the Flame Maroon Society in New Orleans for three decades. She talks about the history of her organization, her famous family and her work to keep the tradition alive for future generations.
- The Krewe of Orpheus celebrates its 30th anniversary this Carnival season. In our first episode of 2023, Errol Laborde talks with krewe co-founder and current Captain Sonny Borey about the organization's inception, evolution and future.
- Beads, doubloons, shoes and more! In our final episode of the season, Rich Collins and Errol Laborde discuss the history of Carnival throws.
- Who doesn't love "The King" Elvis Presley? This group sure does! This week, Errol chats with David Center, Scott Galante and Cliff Golz of the Krewe of the Rolling Elvi. These "kings" of Carnival share their favorite stories from the parade routes, the inception of the group and how the krewe rolled right into the […]
- The officially licensed Mystic Krewe of Barkus is a nonprofit organization and Mardi Gras parade that center's around man's best friend. Since 1993, Barkus has sported themes such as "Wizard of Paws," "Indiana Bones and the Raiders of the Lost Bark" and "Joan of Bark" while parading through the streets of the French Quarter. Gregory […]
- Carnival 2022 is ready to roll, but what about the lingering coronavirus pandemic? We talk to New Orleans health director Dr. Jennifer Avegno to get her advice on how to celebrate safely this Carnival season! Hear Dr. Avegno's advice on what to bring in your parade bag to combat COVID and whether the neutral ground […]
- After missing the 2021 Carnival season due to the coronavirus pandemic, is the city of New Orleans ready for Carnival 2022? As the city updates parade routes and COVID mandates seem to be sticking around, Rich and Errol take a look at what Carnival means this year.
- Errol and Rich discuss a few of the top moments in Carnival history – from the 1600s to COVID Carnival 2021. Stay tuned to the end for a new type of Carnival music.
- Take a trip down the Pussyfooter's parade route with Laura Cayouette, actress and long-time member of the dance krewe. We'll dance our way through the importance of the female dance krewes, how they "party with a purpose" and some surprising facts about Laura!
- Krewe du Vieux has been making merry in New Orleans for many years. This year, they have adapted to COVID in typically tasteless fashion.
- In this two-part episode, we discuss the history and current state of LGBTQ+ Mardi Gras in New Orleans. First, Roberts Batson and Errol Laborde discuss the founding of gay Carnival balls in the city and some of the struggles the community had to endure in the 1960s, '70s and '80s. Then, Rich Collins chats with […]
- From the woman who claims to be the first flasher for Mardi Gras beads to Pagan times and practices, this episode we discuss the risqué side of Carnival.
- In episode 4, Rich and Errol interview Bo Dollis Jr. of The Wild Magnolias Mardi Gras Indians Tribe. We chat about the history of Mardi Gras Indians, the impact of The Wild Magnolias and Bo Dollis Sr. in music and what we're all hopeful for with Mardi Gras 2022.
- This episode, Rich acts as "Mardi Gras Beyond The Beads" musical director, and with Errol explores the music behind the greatest free show on Earth.
- In this episode, Errol Laborde and Rich Collins take a look at how the coronavirus has impacted Carnival in 2021 and what this means for the future of Carnival in New Orleans.
- It will be a different Carnival this year, not just in New Orleans but the world, as people are forced to wear different types of masks. Still, the traditions survive, if only in memory. Carnival expert Errol Laborde, with interviewer Rich Collins, discusses some of the major Carnival celebrations around the world. Learn about what […]
- In this episode, Rich and Errol look back at the good, bad and tragedy of Carnival 2020.